The May-Stringer Heritage Museum is a 4 story l2 room antebellum home built in l856. The home is decorated in the civil war, Victorian era. Over 11,000 artifacts on display. Guided tours Tuesday through Saturday from noon to 3:00. Donation $3.00 adults $l.00 children. Please allow 45 minutes.
The summer kitchen which was not attached to the home until much later is full of artifacts from the past..
The Museum also has a school room which is open for school tours to classes to be taught as if the students are living in 1862. ,also a doctors room and library, communications room and we are open all the way up to the attic.
So come back in time for a while. See some things that haven’t been sold for over a hundred years.
The property that this house was built on was part of the original l60 acres that Richard Wiggins land granted. Eventually John May donated part of this land to Hernando County in l877 to build the courthouse.
It was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993 and is continually being restored to its original condition by volunteers. We have a new project every year. Last year we restored the ceiling on the wrap around porch with double beaded tongue and groove boards, which is what was there originally. We also restored the gazebo in the side yard where so many weddings occur. This year we will be removing and replacing some of the old plaster that is in disrepair and refinishing some of the rooms.
We also have several history books that several authors wrote about Hernando County and Florida and copies of the Sun Journal Newspaper dating back to the early 1900’s.
Hernando Heritage Museum